Journal articles & Book chapters
Articles are listed alphabetically by first author and are colour-coded by CAHRU project. Most items have a Digital Object Identifier (DOI). Type or paste this into the search box on the DOI System Website to find the article online.
- Active Travel to School across the Primary-Secondary Transition
- CAHRU publication (not published from a specific project)
- Changes in Child Exposure to Environmental Tobacco Smoke (CHETS)
- Control of Adolescent Smoking Study (CAS)
- Determining the impact of smoking point of sale legislation among youth (Display) study
- European Network of Health Promoting Schools (ENHPS) projects
- Health Behaviour in School-aged Children (HBSC)
- Physical Activity in Scottish Schoolchildren (PASS)
- Promoting a 'Duty of Care' towards animals among young people
- Scottish Physical Activity Research Collaboration (SPARColl)
- Aceves-Martins M, Whitehead R, Inchley J, Giralt M, Currie C, & Solà R. (2018). Self-reported weight and predictors of missing responses in youth. Nutrition, 53, 54-58. DOI: 10.1016/j.nut.2018.01.003 Nutrition
- Brooks F, Michaelson V, King N, Inchley J, & Pickett W (2018). Spirituality as a protective health asset for young people: an international comparative analysis from three countries. International Journal of Public Health, 1-9. DOI: 10.1007/s00038-017-1070-6 April 2018
Go to article International Journal of Public Health
- Connor M, Currie C, Lawrence A B (2018). Factors Influencing the Prevalence of Animal Cruelty During Adolescence. Journal of Interpersonal Violence April 2018 Go to article Journal of Interpersonal Violence
- Eadie D, Best C, Stead M, MacKintosh AM, Critchlow N, Purves R, Pearce J, Currie D, Ozakinci G, Amos A, MacGregor A & Haw S (In press) Assessing Change in Tobacco Visibility at Point-of-sale Following a Display Ban, Tobacco Regulatory Science, 4 (3), pp. 10-28. Go to article Tobacco Regulatory Science
- Költő A, Young H, Burke L, Moreau N, Cosma A, Magnusson J, ... & Gabhainn S N (2018). Love and Dating Patterns for Same-and Both-Gender Attracted Adolescents Across Europe. Journal of Research on Adolescence December 2018. 28, (4) pp 772-778 Go to article Research on Adolescence
- Muldoon J C, Williams J M, Lawrence A and Currie C (2018). The Nature and Psychological Impact of Child/Adolescent Attachment to Dogs Compared with Other Companion Animals. Society & Animals December 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1163/15685306-12341579 Go to article Society & Animals
- Best C, Haseen F, Currie D, Ozakinci, G, MacKintosh A M, Stead M, Eadie D, MacGregor A, Pearce J, Amos A, Frank J, and Haw S (2017). Relationship between trying an electronic cigarette and subsequent cigarette experimentation in Scottish adolescents: a cohort study. British Medical Journal DOI:10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2017-053691 28 July 2017 Go to article British Medical Journal
- Cosma A, Belić J, Blecha O, Fenski F, Lo M Y, Murar, F, ... & Stella M T (2017). ‘Talkin’‘bout my generation’: using a mixed-methods approach to explore changes in adolescent well-being across several European countries. Frontiers in Psychology Go to article Frontiers in Psychology
- Cosma A, Whitehead R, Neville F, Currie D, and Inchley J (2017). Trends in bullying victimization in Scottish adolescents 1994–2014: changing associations with mental well-being. International Journal of Public Health, 1-8. DOI:10.1007/s00038-017-0965-6 Go to article International Journal of Public Health
- De Meyer S, Kågesten A, Mmari K, McEachran J, Chilet-Rosell E, Kabiru C W, Maina B, Jerves E M, Currie C & Michielsen K (2017) “Boys should have the courage to ask a girl out”: gender norms in early adolescent romantic relationships. Journal of Adolescent Health. Go to article Journal of Adolescent Health 61, 4, Supplement, p. S42-S47
- Marsa-Sambola F, Williams J, Muldoon J, Lawrence A, Connor M and Currie C, 2017. Quality of life and adolescents’ communication with their significant others (mother, father, and best friend): The mediating effect of attachment to pets. Attachment & human development, 19(3), pp.278-297. Go to article Attachment & human development
Martin G, Inchley J, Humphris G, Currie C.
Assessing the psychometric and ecometric properties of neighborhood scales using adolescent survey data from urban and rural Scotland.
Population Health Metrics DOI: 10.1186/s12963-017-0129-1. 28 March 2017 Go to article Population Health Metrics
Martin G, Gavine A, Inchley J, Currie C.
Conceptualizing, measuring and evaluating constructs of the adolescent neighbourhood social environment: A systematic review.
SSM - Population Health DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssmph.2017.03.002. 2 March 2017 Go to article SSM Population Health
- Meinck F, Cosma A P, Mikton C, Baban A. (2017). Psychometric properties of the Adverse Childhood Experiences Abuse Short Form (ACE-ASF) among Romanian high school students.Child Abuse & Neglect 72, 326-337. October 2017Go to article Child Abuse & Neglect
- Muldoon J C, Williams J M, Lawrence A & Currie C(2017). The nature and psychological impact of child/adolescent attachment to dogs compared with other companion animals. Society & Animals Journal
Neville F, McEachran J, Aleman-Diaz A, Whitehead R, Cosma A, Currie D, Currie C.
Trends in the sexual behaviour of 15-year olds in Scotland: 2002–14
European Journal of Public Health DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/ckx049 Published: 11 April 2017 Go to article European Journal of Public Health
- Whitehead R, Cosma A, Cecil J, Currie C, Currie D, Neville F, & Inchley J (2017). Trends in the perceived body size of adolescent males and females in Scotland, 1990–2014: changing associations with mental well-being. International Journal of Public Health, 1-12. Go to article International Journal of Public Health
- Whitehead R, Berg C, Cosma A, Gobina I, Keane E, Neville F, Ojala K and Kelly C (2017). Trends in Adolescent Overweight Perception and Its Association With Psychosomatic Health 2002–2014: Evidence From 33 Countries. Journal of Adolescent Health, 60(2), 204-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2016.09.029 Go to article Journal of Adolescent Health
Best C, Haseen F, van der Sluijs W, Ozakinci G, Currie D, Eadie D, Stead M, MacKintosh A M, Pearce J, Tisch C, MacGregor A, Amos A, Frank J and Haw S. Relationship between e-cigarette point of sale recall and e-cigarette use in secondary school children: a cross-sectional study.
BMC Public Health DOI: 10.1186/s12889-016-2968-2. 14 April 2016 Go to article in BMC Public Health
Best C, van der Sluijs W, Haseen F, Eadie D, Stead M, MacKintosh AM, Pearce J, Tisch C, MacGregor A, Amos A, Miller M, Frank J, Haw S. Does exposure to cigarette brands increase the likelihood of adolescent e-cigarette use? A cross-sectional study.
British Medical Journal 6 (2), 23 February 2016
Go to the article in BMJ
- Borraccino A, Lemma P, Berchialla P, Cappello N, Inchley J, Dalmasso P, Charrier L, Cavallo F and the Italian HBSC 2010 Group. Unhealthy food consumption in adolescence: role of sedentary behaviours and modifiers in 11-, 13- and 15-year-old Italians. European Journal of Public Health April 2016, 1-6 Go to the article in European Journal of Public Health
- Branion-Calles M C, Nelson T A, Martin G. Adjusting local alcohol consumption data for influence of tourists. (May 2016) Go to article in Journal of Substance Use
- Bucksch J, Sigmundova D, Hammrik Z, Troped P J, Melkevik O, Ahluwalia N, Borraccino A, Tynjälä J, Kalman M and Inchley J. International Trends in Adolescent Screen-Time Behaviors From 2002 to 2010. Journal of Adolescent Health 58 (4), April 2016 Go to the article in Journal of Adolescent Health
- Cosma A (2016). Boys' health-what may be learned from three decades of HBSC Survey. European Health Psychologist, 18(1), 18-21. European Health Psychologist
- Elgar FJ, McKinnon B, Torsheim T, Schnohr CW, Mazur J, Cavallo F, Currie C. Patterns of socioeconomic inequality in adolescent health differ according to the measure of socioeconomic position. Social Indicators Research. 2016 Jul 1;127(3):1169-80. Go to article in (link:https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11205-015-0994-6 text Springer
- Hartley J E K, Levin K, Currie C . A new version of the HBSC Family Affluence Scale - FAS III: Scottish qualitative findings from the international FAS development study. Child Indicators Research. 9 (1) pp 233-245 March 2016. Go to article in Child Indicators Research
- Marsa-Sambola F, Muldoon J, Williams J, Lawrence A, Connor M and Currie C , 2016. The short attachment to pets scale (SAPS) for children and young people: Development, psychometric qualities and demographic and health associations. Child Indicators Research, 9(1), pp.111-131. Child Indicators Research
- Marsa-Sambola F, Williams J, Muldoon J, Lawrence A, Connor M, Roberts C, Brooks F and Currie C , 2016. Sociodemographics of pet ownership among adolescents in Great Britain: Findings from the HBSC Study in England, Scotland, and Wales. Anthrozoös, 29(4), pp.559-580. Anthrozoös
Michaelson V, Brooks F, Jirásek I, Inchley J, Whitehead R, King N, Walsh S, Davison CM, Mazur J & Pickett W. (2016). Developmental patterns of adolescent spiritual health in six countries.
SSM-Population Health Volume 2, December 2016 Go to the article in Science Direct
- Reicher S D, Templeton A, Neville F G, Ferrari, L and Drury J. Core disgust is attenuated by ingroup relations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 113(10), p2631-2635 (February 2016) doi: 10.1073/pnas.1517027113 Go to article PNAS
- van der Sluijs W, Haseen F, Miller M, MacGregor A, Sharp C, Amos A, Best C, Stead M, Eadie D, Pearce J, Frank J and Haw S. “It Looks Like an Adult Sweetie Shop”: Point-of-Sale Tobacco Display Exposure and Brand Awareness in Scottish Secondary School Students. Oxford Journal doi: 10.1093/ntr/ntw032. 16 February 2016 Go to the article in Oxford Journal
- Vallance K, Roth E, Thompson K, Chow C, & Martin G. Partying Last Weekend: Factors Related to Heavy Episodic Drinking Among People Who Use Recreational Drugs. Substance Use & Misuse, 1-10. (August 2016). Go to article in Substance Use and Misuse
- Young Honor, András Költő, Marta Reis, Elizabeth M. Saewyc, Nathalie Moreau, Lorraine Burke, Cosma Alina, Béat Windlin, Saoirse Nic Gabhainn, and Emmanuelle Godeau. "Sexual Health questions included in the Health Behaviour in School-aged Children (HBSC) Study: an international methodological pilot investigation." BMC Medical Research Methodology 16, no. 1 (2016): 169. DOI: 10.1186/s12874-016-0270-8 BMC Medical Research Methodology
Ahluwalia N, Dalmasso P, Rasmussen M, Lipsky L, Currie C, Haug E, Kelly C, Trab Damsgaard M, Due P, Tabak I, Ercan O, Maes L, Aasvee K, and Cavallo F. Trends in overweight prevalence among 11, 13 and 15-year-olds in 25 countries in Europe, Canada and USA from 2002 to 2010.
European Journal of Public Health25(2), 28-32(April 2015)
Go to the article in BMJ
Currie C, Aleman-Diaz A. Building knowledge on adolescent health: reflections on the contribution of the Health Behaviour in School-aged Children (HBSC) study.
European Journal of Public Health25(2), 4-6(April 2015)
Go to the article in Eurpub
- Frasquilho D, Gaspar de Matos M, Marques A, Neville F G, Gaspar T and Caldas de Almeida J M. Unemployment, parental distress and youth emotional well-being: the moderation roles of parent-youth relationship and financial deprivation. Child Psychiatry and Human Development. 1-8 (December 2015) Go to article in CPHD
- Currie C, Watson L and Rice P. Adolescent health in the 21st century Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh45(4) 258-60 (2015). Go to the article Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh Journal [Invited Editorial].
Ramelow D, Currie D, and Felder-Puig R. The Assessment of School Climate: Review and Appraisal of Published Student-Report Measures.
Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment25(2) DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0734282915584852(33)731-743 (December 2015)
Go to the article in JPA
Eadie D, Stead M, MacKintosh A M , MacDonald L, Purves R, Pearce J, Tisch C, van der Sluijs W, Amos A, MacGregor A, Haw S. E-cigarette marketing in UK stores: an observational audit and retailers’ views.
(11 September 2015)
Go to the article in BMJ Open
- Elgar, F J, McKinnon B, Walsh S D, Freeman J, Donnelly P D, de Matos, M G, Gariepy G, Aleman-Diaz, A Y, Pickett W, Molcho M. and Currie, C., 2015. "Structural determinants of youth bullying and fighting in 79 countries. Journal of Adolescent Health 57(6), pp. 643-650. Go to the article in Journal of Adolescent Health
Elgar F J, Pförtner T-K, Moor I, de Clercq B, Stevens G W J M, Currie C. Socioeconomic inequalities in adolescent health 2002–2010: a time-series analysis of 34 countries participating in the Health Behaviour in School-aged Children study.
The Lancet DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)61460-4 (3 February 2015)
Go to the article in The Lancet
Kalman M, Inchley J, Sigmundova D, Iannotti R J, Tynjala J A, Hamrik Z, Haug E and Bucksch J. Secular trends in moderate-to-vigorous physical activity in 32 countries from 2002 to 2010: a cross-national perspective.
European Journal of Public Health25(2), 37-40(April 2015)
Go to the article in Eurpub
Neville F G, Goodall C A, Gavine A J, Williams D J and Donnelly P D. Public health youth violence, and perpetrator well-being.
Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology21(3), 322-333,
APA Psycnet DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/pac0000081 (August 2015).
Go to article in APA Psycnet
Boniel-Nissim M, Lenzi M, Zsiros E, Gaspar de Matos M, Gommans R, Harel-Fisch Y, Djalovski A and van der Sluijs W. International trends in electronic media communication among 11- to 15-year-olds in 30 countries from 2002 to 2010: association with ease of communication with friends of the opposite sex.
European Journal of Public Health25(2), 41-45(April 2015)
Go to the article in Eurpub
- Whitehead R, Currie D, Inchley J and Currie C. Educational expectations and adolescent health behaviour: an evolutionary approach. International Journal of Public Health 60(5), 599-608 (May 2015) Go to article in Pubmed
Haw S, Amos A, Eadie D, Frank J, MacDonald L, MacKintosh A, MacGregor A, Miller M, Pearce J, Sharp C, Stead M, Tisch C, van der Sluijs W. Determining the impact of smoking point of sale legislation among youth (Display) study: a protocol for an evaluation of public health policy.
BMC Public Health 2014, 14 :251 (14 March 2014)
Go to article in BMC Public Health
- Kuntsche E, Gabhainn SN, Roberts C, Windlin B, Vieno A, Bendtsen P, Hublet A, Tynjälä J, Välimaa R, Dankulincová Z, Aasvee K, Demetrovics Z, Farkas J, van der Sluijs W, Gaspar de Matos M, MazurJ & Wicki M. (2014). Drinking motives and links to alcohol use in 13 European countries. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs 75(3), 428.
- McDaid D, Park A-L, Zanotti C, Currie C, Investing in the wellbeing of young people: making the economic case. In Wellbeing: A Complete Reference Guide. Volume 6: Economics and Wellbeing (McDaid D, Cooper C L eds). Oxford: Wiley: Blackwell February 2014 Go to article
- Muldoon J C, Williams, J.M. & Lawrence, A. (in press). ‘Mum cleaned it and I just played with it’: Children’s perceptions of their roles and responsibilities in the care of family pets. Childhood.
Levin KA, Dundas R, Miller M, McCartney G. Socioeconomic and geographic inequalities in adolescent smoking: A multilevel cross-sectional study of 15 year olds in Scotland. Social Science and Medicine April 2014
Go to article
Levin KA, Urban–rural differences in adolescent eating behaviour: a multilevel cross-sectional study of 15-year-olds in Scotland. Public Health Nutrition.
Go to article in Public Health Nutrition Volume 17 / Issue 08 / August 2014, pp 1776-1785
- Levin KA and Currie C, Reliability and Validity of an Adapted Version of the Cantril Ladder for Use with Adolescent Samples. Social Indicators ResearchGo to article in Social Indicators Research November 2014, Volume 119, Issue 2, pp 1047-1063
Pfoertner T-K, Rathmann K, Elgar F J, De Looze M, Hofmann F, Ottova-Jordan V, Ravens-Sieberer U, Bosakova L, Currie C,Richter M(2014) Adolescents' psychological health complaints and the economic recession in late 2007: a multilevel study in 31 countries. European Journal of Public 23 May 2014
Go to article
Ahluwalia N, Godeau E, Nic Gabhain S, Due P, Currie D. (2013) The relative
contribution of genes and environment to age at menarche with
respect to the role of pre-pubertal obesity: response to
Grandone et al.
Journal of Adolescent Health Final version published online: 19-FEB-2013 Full bibliographic details: Journal of Adolescent Health 52 (2013), p. 376 DOI information: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2013.01.001
- Elgar F J, De Clercq B, Schnohr C W, Bird, P, Pickett K E, Torsheim T, Hofmann F, Currie, C. Social Science & Medicine, volume 91, issue , year 2013, pp. 25 - 31 (2013) Absolute and relative family affluence and psychosomatic symptoms in adolescents. Social Science & Medicine
- Inchley J (2013) Let's get physical: a public health priority Royal Society for Public Health, 2013 133: 92
Go to article in Royal Society for Public Health
Kirby J &
(2013) Walking behaviours among adolescent girls in Scotland: a
pilot study. Health Education; 113(1):
Go to article in Health Education
- Kirby J, Levin K A and Inchley J (2013) Socio-environmental influences on physical activity among young people: a qualitative study Health Education Research; 28: 954-969.
Go to article in Health Education Research
- Madkour AS, de Looze M, Ma P, Halpern CT, Farhat T, ter Bogt TF, Ehlinger V, Nic Gabhainn S, Currie C, Godeau E, Macro-level Age Norms for the Timing of Sexual Initiation and Adolescents' Early Sexual Initiation in 17 European Countries Journal of Adolescent Health. Download
- Vyncke V, De Clercq B, Stevens V, Costongs C, Barbareschi G, Hrafn Jónsson S, Darias Curvo S, Kebza V, Currie C and Maes L (2013) Does neighbourhood social capital aid in levelling the social gradient in the health and well-being of children and adolescents? A literature review. BMC Public Health
Ahluwalia N, Godeau E, Nic Gabhain S, Due P, Currie D. (2012) Is Obesity
At Individual And National Level Associated With Lower Age At
Menarche? Evidence From 34 Countries In The Health Behaviour In
School-Aged Children (HBSC) Study. Journal of
Adolescent Health 50(6), 621-626.
Go to article in Journal of Adolescent Health
- De Clercq B, Vyncke V, Hublet A, Elgar F J,
Ravens-Sieberer U, Currie
C, Hooghe M, Leven A, Maes L (2012) Social capital and
social inequality in adolescents’ health in 601 Flemish
communities: A multilevel analysis, Social Science &
Go to the article in Social Science & Medicine
- Durkin K, Hunter S, Levin KA, Bergin D, Heim D,
Howe C. (2012) Discriminatory peer aggression among children as a
function of minority status and group proportion in school context.
European Journal of Social Psychology 42,
Go to article in Journal of Social Psychology
- George C Patton, Carolyn Coff ey, Claudia Cappa,
Leanne Riley, Fiona Gore, Louisa Degenhardt, Dominic Richardson,
Nan Astone, Adesola O Sangowawa, Ali Mokdad, Jane Ferguson (2012)
Health of the world’s adolescents: a synthesis of internationally
comparable data, The Lancet, 379 (9826)
Go to article in The Lancet
- Gugglberger L & Inchley J (2012). Phases of
health promotion implementation into the Scottish school system.
Health Promotion International, first published
online November 6, 2012 doi:10.1093/heapro/das061
Go to article in Health Promotion International
(2012) Associations between the school environment and
adolescent girls’ physical activity. Health Education
Research, 27(1) 101-104
Go to the article in Health Education Research
Levin KA (2012)
Glasgow smiles better: An examination of adolescent mental
well-being and the ‘Glasgow effect’. Public
Health, 126, 96-103.
Go to the article in Public Health
Dallago L, Currie
C (2012) The association between adolescent life
satisfaction, family structure, family affluence and gender
differences in parent-child communication. Social
Indicators Research 106,
Go to the article in the Social Indicators Research
Currie C (2012)
Subjective health and mental well-being of adolescents and the
Health Promoting School: a cross-sectional multilevel analysis.
Health Education, 112, 170-184.
Go to article Health Education
Kirby J. (2012)
Irregular breakfast consumption in adolescence and the family
environment: underlying causes of family structure inequality.
Appetite, 59(1) 63-70
Go to article Appetite
C (2012) Family structure and breakfast consumption of
11- 15 year old boys and girls in Scotland, 1994-2010: a
repeated cross-sectional study BMC Public
Health, 12:228 (DOI:10.1186/1471-2458-12-228)
Go to article BMC Public Health
Currie C (2012)
Adolescent risk behaviours and mealtime routines: Does family
meal frequency alter the association between family structure
and risk behaviour? Health Education Research,
Go to the article in Health Eduction Research
Levin K A,
Kirby J, Currie
J (2012)Trends in adolescent eating behaviour: a
multilevel cross-sectional study of 11–15 year olds in
Scotland, 2002–2010. Public Health 34:
Go to the article in Journal of Public Health
- Moore G F, Currie D, Gilmore G, Holliday J C,
Moore L (2012) Socioeconomic inequalities in childhood exposure to
secondhand smoke before and after smoke-free legislation in three
UK countries.Public Health 34: 599-608
Go to article in Journal of Public Health
- Muldoon J C, & Catts R. (2012). Social capital transitions of 'Get Ready For Work' trainees. In J Allen & R Catts (eds.) Social Capital Practices and Young People. Bristol: Policy Press.
- Russell M Viner, Elizabeth M Ozer, Simon Denny,
Michael Marmot, Michael Resnick, Adesegun Fatusi, Candace Currie (2012)
Adolescence and the social determinants of health, The
Lancet, 379 (9826) 1641-1652.
Go to article in The Lancet
Kirby J and
Currie C (2011)
Longitudinal changes in physical self-perceptions and
associations with physical activity during adolescence.
Pediatric Exercise Science, 23(2),
Go to the article in Pedriatic Exercise Science
- Kirby J, Levin KA, Inchley J (2011) Parental and peer influences on physical activity among Scottish adolescents: a longitudinal study. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 8(6), 785-793. Pubmed
Torsheim T, Vollebergh W, Richter M, Davies CA, Schnohr CW, Due
P, Currie C
(2011) National Income and Income Inequality, Family Affluence
and Life Satisfaction Among 13 year Old Boys and Girls: A
Multilevel Study in 35 Countries. Social Indicators
Go to the article in Social Indicators Research
- Nordahl H, Krølner K, Páll G, Currie C, Andersen A
(2011)Measurement of ethnic background in cross national school
surveys: agreement between students' and parents' responses.
Journal of Adolescent Health 49(3), 272-277
Go to the article Journal of Acolescent Health
Akhtar P, Haw
SJ, Levin K,
Zachary R, Currie
C (2010) Socioeconomic differences in secondhand smoke
exposure among children in Scotland after introduction of the
smoke-free legislation. Journal of Epidemiology and
Community Health, 64, 341-346.
Currie C (2010)
Family structure, mother-child communication, father-child
communication, and adolescent life satisfaction: A
cross-sectional multilevel analysis. Health
Education, 110(3), 152-158. [DOI:
Health Education Online
Currie C (2010)
Adolescent toothbrushing and the home environment:
Sociodemographic factors, family relationships and mealtime
routines and disorganisation. Community Dentistry and
Oral Epidemiology. Online First October 21, 2009
Davies CA, Douglas GV, Pitts NB (2010) Urban-rural differences
in dental caries of 5-year old children in Scotland.
Social Science & Medicine, 71(11),
- Williams JM, Muldoon J and Lawrence A (2010)
Children and their pets: Exploring the relationships between pet
ownership, pet attitudes, attachment and empathy. Education
and Health, 28(1), 12-15.
Go to the article in Education and Health
- 2009: International Journal of Public Health HBSC Supplement September 2009: Social determinants of child andadolescent health - findings from the International Health Behaviour in School-aged Children (HBSC) Study Supplement articles are available to download from the International Journal of Public Health
- Barnekow V and Muijen M (2009) Child and adolescent health and development in a European perspective. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S128-130. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5403-y]
- Craig W, Harel-Fisch Y, Fogel-Grinvald H, Dostaler S, Hetland J, Simons-Morton B, Molcho M, Gaspar de Matos M, Overpeck M, Due P, Pickett W, the HBSC Violence & Injuries Prevention Focus Group and the HBSC Bullying Writing Group (2009) A cross-national profile of bullying and victimization among adolescents in 40 countries. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S209-215. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5413-9]
- Currie C, Nic Gabhainn S, Godeau E and the International HBSC Network Coordinating Committee (2009) The Health Behaviour in School-aged Children: WHO Collaborative Cross-National (HBSC) Study: origins, concept, history and development 1982-2008. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S131-139. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5404-x]
- Erhart M, Ottova V, Gaspar T, Jericek H, Schnohr C, Alikasifoglu M, Morgan A, Ravens-Sieberer U and the HBSC Positive Health Focus Group (2009) Measuring mental health and well-being of school-children in 15 European countries using the KIDSCREEN-10 Index. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S160-166. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5407-7]
- Freeman JG, Samdal O, Klinger DA, Dür W, Griebler R, Currie D and Rasmussen M (2009) The relationship of schools to emotional health and bullying. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S251-259. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5421-9]
- Haug E, Rasmussen M, Samdal O, Iannotti R, Kelly C, Borraccino A, Vereecken C, Melkevik O, Lazzeri G, Giacchi M, Ercan O, Due P, Ravens-Sieberer U, Currie C, Morgan A, Ahluwalia N and the HBSC Obesity Writing Group (2009) Overweight in school-aged children and its relationship with demographic and lifestyle factors: results from the WHO-Collaborative Health Behaviour in School-aged Children (HBSC) Study. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S167-179. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5408-6]
- Holstein BE, Currie C, Boyce W, Damsgaard MT, Gobina I, Kökönyei G, Hetland J, de Looze M, Richter M, Due P and the HBSC Social Inequalities Focus Group (2009) Socio-economic inequality in multiple health complaints among adolescents: international comparative study in 37 countries. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S260-270. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5418-4]
- Iannotti RJ, Janssen I, Haug E, Kololo H, Annaheim B, Borraccino A and the HBSC Physical Activity Focus Group (2009) Interrelationships of adolescent physical activity, screen-based sedentary behaviour, and social and psychological health. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S191-198. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5410-z]
- Koller T, Morgan A, Guerreiro A, Currie C, Ziglio E and the International HBSC study group (2009) Addressing the socioeconomic determinants of adolescent health: experiences from the WHO/HBSC Forum 2007. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S278-284. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5420-x]
- Kuntsche E, Simons-Morton B, ter Bogt T, Sánchez Queija I, Muñoz Tinoco V, Gaspar de Matos M, Santinello M, Lenzi M and the HBSC Peer Culture Focus Group (2009) Electronic media communication with friends from 2002 to 2006 and links to face-to-face contacts in adolescence: an HBSC study in 31 European and North American countries and regions. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S243-250. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5416-6]
- Marmot M (2009) Social determinants and adolescent health. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S123-124. S125-127. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5402-z]
- McQueen DV (2009) 25 years of HBSC: challenges and successes. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S123-124. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5401-0]
- Molcho M, Craig W, Due P, Pickett W, Harel-Fisch Y, Overpeck M and the HBSC Bullying Writing Group (2009) Cross-national time trends in bullying behaviour 1994-2006: findings from Europe and North America. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S225-234. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5414-8]
- Moreno C, Sánchez-Queija I, Muñoz-Tinoco V, Gaspar de Matos M, Dallago L, ter Bogt T, Camacho I, Rivera F and the HBSC Peer Culture Focus Group (2009) Cross-national associations between parent and peer communication and psychological complaints. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S235-242. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5415-7]
- Nic Gabhainn S, Baban A, Boyce W, Godeau E and the HBSC Sexual Health Focus Group (2009) How well protected are sexually active 15-year olds? Cross-national patterns in condom and contraceptive pill use 2002-2006. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S209-215. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5412-x]
- Ravens-Sieberer U (2009) The contribution of HBSC to international child health research - a milestone in child public health. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S121-122. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5400-1]
- Ravens-Sieberer U, Torsheim T, Hetland J, Vollebergh W, Cavallo F, Jericek H, Alikasifoglu M, Välimaa R, Ottova V, Erhart M and the HBSC Positive Health Focus Group (2009) Subjective health, symptom load and quality of life of children and adolescents in Europe. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S151-159. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5406-8]
- Roberts C, Freeman J, Samdal O, Schnohr CW, de Looze ME, Nic Gabhainn S, Iannotti R, Rasmussen M and the International HBSC Study Group (2009) The Health Behaviour in School-aged Children (HBSC) study: methodological developments and current tensions. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S140-150. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5405-9]
- Simons-Morton BG, Farhat T, ter Bogt TFM, Hublet A, Kuntsche E, Nic Gabhainn S, Godeau E, Kokkevi A and the HBSC Risk Behaviour Focus Group (2009) Gender specific trends in alcohol use: cross-cultural comparisons from 1998 to 2006 in 24 countries and regions. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S199-208. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5411-y]
- Vereecken C, Dupuy M, Rasmussen M, Kelly C, Nanse TR, Al Sabbah H, Baldassari D, Delgrande Jordan M, Maes L, Niclasen B V-L, Ahluwalia N and the HBSC Eating & Dieting Focus Group (2009) Breakfast consumption and its socio-demographic and lifestyle correlates in schoolchildren in 41 countries participating in the HBSC study. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S180-190. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5409-5]
- Young I and Currie C (2009) The HBSC study in Scotland: can the study influence policy and practice in schools? International Journal of Public Health, 54, S271-277. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5419-3]
- Akhtar P, Haw SJ, Currie D, Zachary R, Currie C (2009) Smoking restrictions in the home and secondhand smoke exposure among primary schoolchildren before and after introduction of the Scottish smoke-free legislation. Tobacco Control, Vol 18, pp. 409-15. Online First August 10, 2009. [DOI:10.1136/tc.2009.030627]
- Due P, Damsgaard MT, Rasmussen M, Holstein BE, Wardle J, Merlo J, Currie C, Ahluwalia N, Sørensen T I A and Lynch J, plus the HBSC obesity writing group (2009) Socioeconomic position, macroeconomic environment and overweight among adolescents in 35 countries. International Journal of Obesity, 99(5), 907-914. [DOI: 10.2105/AJPH.2008.139303]
- Due P, Merlo J, Harel-Fisch Y, Trab Damsgaard M,
Holstein B, Hetland J,
Currie C, Nic Gabhainn S, Gaspar de Matos M, Lynch J
(2009) Socioeconomic inequality in exposure to bullying during
adolescence: a comparative, cross-sectional, multilevel study
in 35 countries. American Journal of Public
Health, 99(5), 907-914. [DOI:
- Goldstein H, Carpenter J, Kenward MG,
Levin KA (2009)
Multilevel models with multivariate mixed response types.
Statistical Modelling, 9(3), 173-197. [DOI:
- Kirby J & Inchley J (2009) Active travel to school: views of 10-13 year old schoolchildren in Scotland. Health Education, 109(2), 169-183. [DOI: 10.1108/09654280910936611]
Levin KA and
Currie C (2009)
Inequalities in tooth brushing among adolescents in Scotland,
1998-2006. Health Education Research, 24(1),
87-97. [DOI: 10.1093/her/cym096]
(2009) Mental well-being and subjective health of 11-15 year
old boys and girls in Scotland, 1994-2006. European
Journal of Public Health, 19, 605-610.
Davies CA, Topping GVA, Assaf AV, Pitts NB (2009) Inequalities
in dental caries of 5-year old children in Scotland, 1993-2003.
European Journal of Public Health, 19,
Levin KA, Jones
C, Wight C, Valentine C, Topping G, Naysmith R (2009) Fluoride
rinsing and dental health inequalities in 11-year-old children:
an evalution of a supervised school-based fluoride rinsing
programme in Edinburgh. Community Dentistry and Oral
Epidemiology, 37, 19-26. [DOI:
- Richter M, Vereecken C, Boyce W, Maes L, Nic Gabhainn S, Currie C (2009) Parental occupation, family affluence and adolescent health behaviour in 28 countries. International Journal of Public Health, 54, 1-10. [DOI: 10.1007/s00038-009-8018-4]
- Warin J and Muldoon J (2009) Wanting to be
'known': redefining self-awareness through an understanding of
self-narration processes in educational transitions.
British Educational Research Journal, 35(2),
[DOI: 10.1080/01411920802043000 ]
Molcho M, Boyce B, Holstein B, Torsheim T and Richter M (2008)
Researching health inequalities in adolescents: The development
of the Health Behaviour in School-Aged Children (HBSC) Family
Affluence Scale. Social Science and Medicine,
66(6), 1429-1436. [DOI: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2007.11.024]
- Fitzsimons CF et al (2008) The 'Walking for
Wellbeing in the West' randomised controlled trial of a
pedometer-based walking programme in combination with physical
activity consultation with 12 month follow-up: rationale and study
design. BMC Public Health, 8:259. [ DOI:
10.1186/1471-2458-8-259 ] [ Available online at www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/8/259
- Godeau E, Nic Gabhainn S, Vignes C, Ross J, Boyce
W and Todd J (2008)
Contraceptive use by 15-year-old students at their last sexual
intercourse: results from 24 countries. Archives of
Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, 162(1), 66-73. [
Available online at: http://archpedi.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/162/1/66
- Schnohr C, Kreiner S, Rasmussen M, Due P,
Currie C and
Diderichsen F (2008) The role of national policies intended to
regulate adolescent smoking in explaining the prevalence of daily
smoking: a study of adolescents from 27 European countries.
Addiction, 103(5), 824-831. [DOI:
Currie CE and
Haw SJ (2007) Changes in child exposure to environmental
tobacco smoke (CHETS) study after implementation of smoke-free
legislation in Scotland: national cross sectional survey.
BMJ, 335(7619):545. [ DOI:
Download article [pdf] Download appendix [pdf]
Muldoon J &
Currie C (2007)
Becoming a health promoting school: evaluating the process of
effective implementation in Scotland. Health Promotion
International, 22(1), 65-71. [ DOI:
- Nic Gabhainn S, Sixsmith J, Delaney E-N, Moore M,
Inchley J and
O'Higgins S (2007) Health promoting school indicators: schematic
models from students. Health Education, 107(6),
494-510. [ DOI: 10.1108/09654280710827902 ]
- Ojala K, Vereecken C, Valimaa R, Currie C, Villberg J, Tynjala J
and Kannas L (2007) Attempts to lose weight among overweight and
non-overweight adolescents: a cross-national survey.
International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical
Activity, 50(4). [ DOI: 10.1186/1479-5868-4-50 ]
[ Available online at: www.ijbnpa.org/content/4/1/50 ]
- Roberts C, Currie C, Samdal O,
Smith R and Maes L
(2007) Measuring the health and health behaviours of adolescents
through cross-national survey research: recent developments in the
Health Behaviour in School-aged Children (HBSC) study.
Journal of Public Health, 15(3), 179-186.
[ DOI: 10.1007/s10389-007-0100-x ]
- Schnohr C, Kreiner S, Due P, Currie C, Boyce W and Diderichsen F (Advance Access 24 Nov 2007 ) Differential item functioning of a family affluence scale: Validation study on data from HBSC 2001/02. Social Indicators Research. [DOI: 10.1007/s11205-007-9221-4]
- Boyce W, Torsheim T, Currie C and Zambon A (2006)
The Family Affluence Scale as a Measure of National Wealth:
Validation of an Adolescent Self-reported Measure. Social
Indicators Research, 78(3), 473-487.
[ DOI: 10.1007/s11205-005-1607-6 ]
- Haw SJ, Gruer L, Amos A, Currie C, Fishbacher C, Fong
GT, Hastings G, Malam S, Pell J, Scott C and Semple S (2006)
Legislation on smoking in enclosed public places in Scotland: how
will we evaluate the impact? Journal of Public
Health, 28(1), 24-30. [ DOI: 10.1093/pubmed/fdi080 ]
- Torsheim T, Currie C, Boyce W & Samdal
O (2006) Country material distribution and adolescents' perceived
health: Multilevel study of adolescents in twenty-seven countries.
Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 60,
- Vereecken CA, Todd J, Roberts C, Mulvihill C,
Maes L (2006) TV viewing behaviour and associations with food
habits in different countries. Public Health
Nutrition, 9(2), 244-250.
- Zambon A, Boyce W, Cois E, Currie C, Lemma P, Dalmasso P,
Borraccion A and Cavallo F (2006) Do welfare regimes mediate the
effect of socio-economic position on health in adolescence? A
cross-national comparison in Europe, North America and Israel.
International Journal of Health Services, 36(2),
- Alexander LM, Inchley J, Todd J, Currie D, Cooper AR,
Currie C (2005) The
broader impact of walking to school among adolescents: seven day
accelerometry based study. BMJ, 331, 1061-1062.
[Available online at: www.bmj.com
- Due P, Holstein BE, Lynch J, Diderichsen F, Nic
Gabhain S, Scheidt P, Currie C and The Health
Behaviour in School-Aged Children Bullying Working Group (2005)
Bullying and Symptoms among School-Aged Children: International
Comparative Cross Sectional Study in 28 Countries. European
Journal of Public Health, 15, 128-132. [DOI:
(2005) Persistent socio-demographic differences in physical
activity among Scottish schoolchildren 1990-2002.
European Journal of Public Health, 15(4),
386-388. [DOI: 10.1093/eurpub/cki084]
- Janssen I, Katzmarzyk P, Boyce W, Vereecken C,
Mulvihill C, Roberts C,
Currie C, Pickett W, The Health Behaviour in School-Aged
Children Obesity Working Group (2005) Comparison of overweight
and obesity prevalence in school-aged youth from 34 countries
and their relationships with physical activity and dietary
patterns. Obesity Reviews, 6(2), 123.
- Pickett W, Craig W, Harel Y, Cunningham J, Simpson
K, Molcho M, Mazur J, Dostaler S, Overpeck M, Currie C on behalf of the HBSC
Violence and Injuries Writing Group (2005) Cross-national study of
fighting and weapon carrying as determinants of adolescent injury.
Pediatrics, 116(6), 855-863. [DOI:
- Vereecken CA, Inchley JC, Subramanian SV,
Hublet A and Maes L (2005) The relative influence of individual and
contextual socio-economic status on consumption of fruit and soft
drinks among adolescents in Europe. European Journal of
Public Health, 15, 224-232.
- Alexander LM & Currie C (2004) Young people's computer use: implications for Health Education. Health Education, 104(4). [ DOI: 10.1108/09654280410546745 ]
- Batista-Foguet JM, Fortiana J, Currie C, and Villalbi JR (2004) Socioeconomic indexes in surveys for comparisons between countries. An applied comparison using the Family Affluence Scale. Social Indicators Research, 67(3), 315-332.
- Torsheim T, Currie C, Boyce W, Kalnins I,
Overpeck M and Haugland S (2004) Material deprivation and
self-rated health: a multilevel study of adolescents from 22
European and North American countries. Social Science &
Medicine, 59(1), 1-12. [ DOI:
- Wold B,
Currie C, Roberts C, Aaro LE (2004) National legislation
on school smoking restriction in eight European countries.
Health Promotion International, 19, 482-488.
- Wold B, Torsheim T, Currie C and Roberts C (2004)
National and school policies on restrictions of teacher smoking: a
multilevel analysis of student exposure to teacher smoking in seven
European countries. Health Education Research, 19,
1-10. [DOI: 10.1093/her/cyg029]
- Griesbach D, Amos A, and Currie C (2003) Adolescent
smoking and family structure in Europe. Social Science and
Medicine, 56, 41-521. [DOI:
- Hansen EH, Holstein BE, Due P and Currie CE (2003) International
survey of self-reported medicine use among adolescents.
The Annals of Pharmacotherapy, 37, 361-366. [
Available online at: www.theannals.com under
"Archived Issues" ]
- Griesbach D, Inchley J, Currie C (2002) More than
words? The status and impact of smoking policies in Scottish
schools. Health Promotion International, 17(1),
31-41. [DOI: 10.1093/heapro/17.1.31]
Todd J, Bryce
C, Currie C
(2001) Dietary trends among Scottish schoolchildren in the
1990's. Journal of Human Nutrition and
Dietetics, 14, 206-17. [DOI:
- Inchley J, Currie C & Young I (2000) Evaluating the health promoting school: a case study approach. Health Education, 100(5), 200-206. [DOI: 10.1108/09654280010343573] Health Education
- Williams JM and Currie CE (2000) Self-esteem and physical development in early adolescence: pubertal timing and body image. Journal of Early Adolescence, 20, 129-149. [DOI: 10.1177/0272431600020002002]
- Thomson C, Currie C, Todd J and Elton R (1999)
Changes in HIV/AIDS education, knowledge and attitudes among
Scottish 15-16 year olds, 1990-1994: findings form the WHO: Health
Behaviour in School-aged Children Study (HBSC). Health
Education Research, 14(3), 357-370. [DOI:
- Bowker S, Crosswaite C, Hickman M, McGuffin S & Tudor-Smith C (1998) The healthy option - a review of activity on food and nutrition by UK schools involved in the European Network of Health Promoting Schools. Health Education, 98(4), 135-141.
- Williams JM, Wright P, Currie CE and Beattie TF (1998)
Sports-related injuries among Scottish adolescents aged 11-15.
British Journal of Sports Medicine, 32,
Currie C, Elton
RA, Todd J and
Platt S (1997) Indicators of socioeconomic status for
adolescents: the WHO Health Behaviour in School-aged Children
Survey. Health Education Research, 12(3),
385-397. [DOI: 10.1093/her/12.3.385]
- Williams J, Currie C, Wright P, Elton R,
Beattie T (1997) Socioeconomic status and adolescent injuries.
Social Science and Medicine, 44(12), 1881-1891.
- Crosswaite C, Currie C & Young I (1996) The European Network of Health Promoting Schools: development and evaluation in Scotland. Health Education Journal, 55, 450-6.
Williams JM, Wright P, Beattie T and Harel Y (1996) Incidence
and distribution of injury among schoolchildren aged 11-15.
Injury Prevention, 2, 21-25.
- Health Education Board for Scotland, Health Promotion Wales, Health Education Authority & Health Promotion Agency for Northern Ireland (1996) The European Network of Health Promoting Schools: Introduction - the UK project. Health Education Journal, 55, 447-449.